Roti Chenai at home



It took forever to find a good Roti Chenai recipe online and then I gave up. I reached out to one of my Malaysian friend that gave me this recipe. It turned out pretty good and I absolutely had to share it. When I was pregnant, I would crave it all the time, the sad part was that the Malaysian restaurant nearby was getting a makeover and closed. Next time you crave it, you will know how to make it.

Ingredients:
1.   Chicken 1lb (preferably with bones)
2.  Chicken Curry Masala (I am OK with Shaan Chicken Curry Masala)
3.  1 tsp Red Chilli Powder to taste
4.  1 cup coconut milk
5.  Salt to taste
6.  Turmeric
7.  1/4 cup cooking Oil
8.  Potato – 1 cup chopped to ½ inch cubes
9.  Onion – 1 cup finely chopped
10.            Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbs
Procedure:
·        Garlic, Ginger, Chicken Masala, Red Chili powder, Turmeric to form a smooth Paste.
·        Heat oil in a pan, add onions, add the paste and let it fry till it is brown and forms gravy. Make sure it does not burn.
·        Add chicken and let it fry for 5 minutes in the paste. Add 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water (or use 2 cups of fat free coconut milk). Add potatoes and let it cook for 20 minutes on a medium flame.
·        You may turn off and skim the oil on the top.

Note: Skip Chicken to make it vegetarian
Serve with Porotta/ flaky parata that we get in the Indian stores.




Comments