Traditional Meat Pulao

Hello There,


I hope you are safe and healthy during these crazy times. I want to share a little story about this recipe.


I visited Swathi when they had recently moved closer to us and there was get together for my husband's side of the friends and family. My in-laws hail from East Godawari district of Andhra Pradesh. We belong to the Raju community of this land and use of poppy seeds and cashews are part of every savory delicacy. Godawari being coastal, most of the food combines with meat with seafood. Fish and Shrimp are cultivated as primary business for many.


You are probably wondering why all this introduction. Well, the Pulaos that are made back home is a combination of different meats. When I went to Swathi's home, her mom made the chicken and shrimp pulao. It can also be made with Mutton, or other meats of choice along with shrimp. I clearly remember the distinct taste of the pulao and I probably ate enough for a couple of meals - because I loved it so much.


Growing up, I was never close to my roots and hence my cooking has been a mash-up of all the places I lived across India. It lacked the traditional perfection.

This Pulao - OMG - reminded me of my summer holidays back with my aunts, celebrations when my cousins got first class in 10th, Intermediate, Degrees, etc.  The pulao was a staple for all celebrations along with Chicken Pakodi, Mirapakaya Bajji, Plantain Pakoda and Payasam/Mysorepak for dessert.


I give the complete credit to Swathi and her mom for sending me this. I had been bugging them for the recipe many times and finally, here it is. I may not have reached perfection, but a lot closer. 

This is how I made it.




Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of meat of choice (Shrimp and Chicken pieces)
  • Curry Leaves (2 Bunch)
  • Crushed Fresh Ginger (2 Tbs)
  • Crushed Fresh Garlic (4 Tbs)
  • Onions – 1 Cup Sliced Medium or Shallots used in the Traditional Recipe
  • Oil ¾ Cup
  • Basmati or Sona Masuri Aged Rice (Traditionally Sona Masuri was used as Pulao Rice back home) – 3 Cups
  • Bay Leaf – 2
  • Whole Cloves, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Javitri – 1 tsp Each
  • Cinnamon Stick – 1Medium
  • Garam Masala Powder – 2 Tbs
  • Poppy Seeds – 2 Tbs
  • Cumin Seeds – 1 Tbs
  • Green Chillies – 5 Long
  • Cashews – 1 cup soaked
  • Turmeric – 1 Tbs
  • Chili Powder – 1Tbs
  • Salt – To Taste (I added 2Tbs)
  • Coriander Powder – 1 Tbs
  • Coriander Leaves – ½ Cup Chopped


Procedure:

  • Clean the Meat and cut into small pieces
  • Add Oil in a Frypan and let heat
  • Add Cumin Seeds until Splatter
  • Add Whole Spices ( Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Black pepper, Bay leaves, Javitri, Poppy Seeds)
  • Add Onions and Let them Fry until slightly brown
  • Add Crushed Garlic and Ginger until oil floats on top
  • Add 1 Tbs of Salt to this
  • Add Meat
  • Add 1 Tbs Salt and Chilli Powder, Fry on Medium to High, constantly moving so it does not burn, until you see the meet looks like its getting crisp
  • Clean the rice, use the strainer to add rice to this masala. No water should be added with rice.
  • Add Garam Masala Powder, Cashews and Dhaniya Powder
  • Stir slowly so that the rice does not break or burn. The rice should be transparent at the edges and crispy. This takes 7 minutes.
  • Add 6 cups of water to the rice cooker, Coriander Leaves, and Rice mixture. Turn on the Rice Cooker.


Traditional Raita

Ingredients

  • Translucently thin sliced onion
  • Yogurt 1 cup
  • Water ½ Cup
  • Cumin Seeds 1 tsp


Method

Add Water, Onions, and Yoghurt, mix. Now crush the cumin seeds in your palm and add to the mixture. Mix Thoroughly.


Note

The pulao generates heat in the body due to high amount of spice. Drink lassi after to calm things down :-). 



Please share your experience with me. I would love to know that you tried it.





Comments